Southern Flinders Ranges

The Beautiful Southern Flinders Ranges, the product of an ancient geological process, are an ecological extension of the Northern Mount Lofty Ranges, beginning from Crystal Brook, they   meander their way North 400kms through creeks and gorges. As history progressed; and as it was settled it incorporated a number of towns namely Port Germein, Wirrabara, Laura, Gladstone, Melrose, Wilmington and Jamestown with the most significant being Port Pirie.

Its History dates back to early March of 1802 when Captain Mathew Flinders bleached canvas sails of the Tall ship, “The Investigator” appeared in strange contrast to the ancient rugged outline of the magnificent ranges which have been significantly named in his honour having been the first sailor to discover them.

In the foreshores and  foothills of the region were camped our Indigenous peoples now known as the “    “Nukunu Peoples” they are the Aboriginal natives to the region and its anyone’s guess what they thought as they witnessed the first landing of white man in their beautiful landscape. Gums and thick shrub dominated the landscape of the Western Scarp of the Southern Flinders, while rocky out crops and  Gorges hid some of the more spectacular  locations.

The Regions major industry is the Lead smelter on the back of the success of Broken Hills early mining boom Port Pirie became the most suitable and closest location for the raw product to be refined. Port Pirie quickly became a busy and bustling location with a sea port established it soon developed an export grain facility as well. 
Like much of South Australia, the 19th century history of the region was concerned with wheat and wool production with this being the main farming commodity in the region and  although  the region received  a visit from Mr Thomas Hardy in 1892, its early grape growing experiences were limited to small areas of table grapes and fuit orchards.

During the viticulture boom in the 1990’s new vineyard developments began to appear and in 2003 the region was formally recognised by Wine Australia and granted its own geographical identity and is now known as the GI of The Southern Flinders Ranges.